Class News and Notes
- On Thursday, November 29th, author Jennifer Nielsen will be visiting 5th graders at Edna Maguire. From the publisher: New York Times Bestselling author, Jennifer Nielsen, was born and raised in northern Utah, where she still lives today with her husband, three children, and a dog that won’t play fetch. She is the author of The Ascendance trilogy, beginning with THE FALSE PRINCE; the MARK OF THE THIEF series, and A NIGHT DIVIDED. She loves chocolate, old books, and lazy days in the mountains. If you are interested in ordering books and having them signed by the author, please return the attached order form (this will also be sent home with your child tomorrow) by this Wednesday, November 28th.
- At conferences, several parents asked for book lists at different reading levels. I love Goodreads, and use their lists all the time. Here are their lists:
- Additionally, I've attached a few book lists by genre (fantasy, mystery, etc.). The reading levels for the books on these lists are listed to the right of the titles.
- For information about the 5th grade parent orientations this year at MVMS, please check out the attached flyer and sign up online.
Private School Recommendation Forms
- We are coming into the private school application season. If you are considering this for your child's middle school experience, we would like to remind you that all applications MUST go through the office first. There is a form that you will need to fill out and a $50 application fee. Thank you so much for your cooperation!
- In reading, we are nearing the end of our first fiction unit called "Interpretation Book Clubs." In the first part of the unit, students learned strategies to lift the level of their writing about reading. They will practice drawing on a repertoire of strategies for reading closely, alert to how story elements interact and details that seem to represent big ideas. Students read through the lens of tentative ideas and questions to help them develop evidenced-based theories.
- This week, students will be beginning their second round of book clubs. This four-week long book club will meet four times a week. Your child will be meeting with one of the four fifth grade teachers in groups made up of students from other fifth grade classes.
- We are currently in the midst of a narrative writing unit. In this unit, students will be crafting two personal narratives, paying special attention to elaboration through detail and description, traveling slowly over the ideas of their topic, grounding the writing in a wealth of specificity, and returning to important sections to tell them in a bit-by-bit way.
- We are continuing our unit of study on fractions. For more information, please see the attached family letter. In addition to an overview of the unit, the family letter also includes at-home activities you can try with your child as well as answers for the Home Links questions.
- Following our study of Native Americans, we are beginning our unit of study on European Exploration. In this unit, we will explore the motivations for exploration, examine early navigational tools, trace the routes of early explorers, and describe the early explorations of the Americas. Students will then study the impacts of European exploration.
Life Science Rotation with Mrs. Womack
- Students are currently enjoying their eight week Life Science rotation with Mrs. Womack, where they are learning about ecosystems!