- The Halloween Parade is back! Please join us for your 5th grader's last Edna Halloween parade this Wednesday, October 31st at 8:50am. Starting at 8:50, the 5th graders will lead the parade from the Kindergarten building around Alto Field. We will end with a special surprise treat this year, so be sure to stay as long as you can!
- Students should arrive at school in costume with a change of clothes for the rest of the day. If students choose to stay in their costumes for the day, that's fine with me (although I will ask them to take of masks or distracting costume elements). However, we will still have regularly scheduled recess and students may wish to have their regular school clothes for the rest of the day. Having options is always good!
This Week's Homework
- Important note: Be on the lookout for upcoming mandatory math homework beginning this week. This should not be too time intensive, just some extra practice for the students. Please sign it before your child returns it on Fridays.
- This is an exciting week in 5th grade! We will be starting the first of two rounds of book clubs this week. On Monday, students will meet in their book clubs and make a plan for reading an entire book in 3 weeks. They will set the reading deadlines as a group, dividing the book into reasonable chunks to read each night. In class, we will be sure to discuss this week and how Halloween poses a unique challenge. Groups will either choose to read a little bit more on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday so that they don't have to read on Wednesday, read all 4 days or find some other creative solution. As long as they complete their assignments for their book club discussions each day and reach an agreement as a group, any option is fine.
- Completing their daily reading assignment should be your child's focus for homework this week. Please do what you can to support your child with this assignment by helping them find a time and place to complete their reading each day and checking in to see how it's going. Please let me know if you find that your student is having trouble completing the assignments on schedule.
- Because of Halloween on Wednesday, there will be NO writing about reading assigned for homework. We will complete this assignment in class instead.
- On Friday, we will have a quiz on this week's root word: bio, which means or is related to life. Students are encouraged to make flashcards and quiz themselves on the definitions of these words in preparation for the quiz. Please help your child by offering to quiz them on the words or making a fun study game!
Thanks to Kiddo!
- Your contributions to Kiddo! bring so many important programs to our school. Because of your donations, our students are given regular instruction in art, music, dance, drama, poetry, and P.E. This year, my students and I also get help from classroom aides, library aides, and tech experts. Please know that your voluntary donations to Kiddo! every year – in any amount – help keep great programs and people in place at our school. Thanks in advance for helping Kiddo! support our schools.