Class News and Notes
Upcoming 5th Grade Events
- Please refer to the "Upcoming 5th Grade Events" flyer for important upcoming events for 5th grade including music performances, CAASPP testing, open house, graduation, end of the year class party, and more. A copy of this list is on the main blog page.
- For more information on the Spring Sing, please check out the invitation on the main page.
Social Studies and Reading
- Our next reading and social studies units will be interwoven, with both revolving around our study of The American Revolution. From dramatic battles to the creation of revolutionary documents, students will learn about the causes, course, and consequences of the American Revolution. They will understand meanings around famous quotes such as, "No taxation without representation!" and “The regulars are coming!” By the end of the unit, they will know the key individuals and events before and during the American Revolution.
- In addition to learning about key figures and events of the Revolution, students will participate in extensive perspective taking - examining the war through the eyes of men, women, children from different backgrounds. They will compare and contrast competing historical perspectives on topics such as independence, women’s rights, slavery, etc. They will also engage in in-depth explorations to answer global questions such as “Whose stories are told and whose stories are left out?” and “How does a person’s perspective influence her or his opinion and actions?”
- Our current writing unit of study is persuasive writing. In this unit, students are learning how to write a clear piece of persuasive writing that includes an introduction that states an opinion or position, reasons that are logically ordered, facts and details that support reasons, linking words and phrases, and a strong concluding statement. Write about reading throughout this time will focus on looking at pieces of persuasive and opinion writing, reflecting on arguments, and creating strong opinion paragraphs.
- This week we are wrapping up our unit of study on fraction algorithms (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division).
- In our next unit of study, "Investigations in Measurement; Decimal Multiplication and Division," we will explore line plots, volume, and multiplication and division of decimals. For more information about this unit of study, please see the attached family letter.
- Our class is currently in our final science rotation, Earth Science, with Ms. Cherbero and Mr. Spaht.
| || |